20110525

Animals

Whether you live in the natural jungles of South America or in the urban jungles of North America, you come into contact, in one form or another, with the other denizens of the All-Mother.  Animals are around.  They're not some secret jealously guarded by the druids of old.  Those geezers are dead.  Wildlife is free to maintain the balance by shitting on your windshield.  Circle of life, my friends.

I was asking my students to list animals this week.  What was an easy task for every single class inevitably turned to scandal and controversy as I tried to learn 'em real good that dragons are in fact not animals.  Auspicious Animals?  Okay...  Mythology?  Even better.

Friends, I have seen things.  After I tell them that I want real animals, their faces twist and contort into something only vaguely human.  I would liken it to gathering primary students at an assembly in the West with the sole purpose of destroying their collective belief in Santa Claus.

With that in mind, I want you to answer me honestly.  Is it wrong that I actually delight in giving them that little speech?  Is it so bad that I like shattering hopes and dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment